Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport opened in 1930 as Wayne County Airport, one of the first airports in America funded by a county bond issue, on farmland southwest of Detroit near Romulus. It served military roles during the Second World War, then gradually captured Detroit's commercial traffic from Willow Run airport during the late 1950s after being renamed Detroit Metropolitan and gaining jet-era terminals in 1958 and 1966.
The pivotal era began when Republic Airlines. After their 1986 merger Northwest Airlines, made Detroit a primary hub, building it into the main gateway between the American Midwest and Asia, with nonstop flights to Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, and Beijing. The airport's modern signature, the McNamara Terminal, opened in 2002 for Northwest: its Concourse A stretches nearly a mile, one of the longest airport concourses in the world, served by an overhead ExpressTram, a dancing-water fountain.
A psychedelic light tunnel connecting concourses beneath a taxiway. Delta inherited the hub in the 2008 merger and DTW remains one of its largest bases. The North Terminal, opened in 2008 and later renamed the Warren Cleage Evans Terminal, hosts all other carriers.